Everyone is aware of how important it is to service your car just to ensure that it runs smoothly and efficiently. It is also important to keenly follow the manufacturer’s advice on service intervals and keeping the car in good shape. However, it feels disappointing when the check engine light shows up despite doing everything to keep the car running seamlessly. The good thing is that you no longer need to panic or take a costly trip to the mechanic. It is much easier to run diagnostics of your car on your own with the help of a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner. Your vehicle has a special computer system that closely monitors different other subsystems that keep the car running. The (OBD) On-Board diagnostics tools will allow you to check the status of the vehicle’s subsystems with no need to visit the mechanic.
With a Bluetooth device, it becomes even easier to use your tablets and smartphones as a reliable diagnostic scanning tool. You will use apps that communicate to Bluetooth scanners plugged into the car’s computer to make the interface of the diagnostic tools user-friendly. Even though there are several OBD2 scanning tools, the Bluetooth and wireless scanners are better than the conventional ones. In this article, we review the top 10 best Bluetooth OBD2 scanners.
Table of Contents
- 10. BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool
- 9. Thinkcar OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iPhone and Android
- 8. Mucar OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iOS and Android
- 7. OBDLink Diagnostic Scanner for iPhone and Android
- 6. AUTOPHIX 3210 OBD2 Scanner-Newest Generation
- 5. FIXD OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool for iPhone & Android
- 4. ANCEL Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for iPhone, iPad, and Android
- 3. NEXAS Bluetooth 5.0 OBDII Scanner for Vehicles
- 2. Veepeak OBDCheck OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner
- 1. NEXPOW Bluetooth 5.0 OBD2 Scanner
- Factors to consider when buying OBD2 Scanners Bluetooth
10. BlueDriver Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool
If you are looking to comprehend the issue with your car, you will require a complete picture. Using this scan tool, it will be possible to perform deep scans in a way that you read, comprehend, and also clear more codes. It allows you to access information that is normally accessible to professional mechanics with the help of their expensive scan tools. This scanner will give you unlimited vehicle repair reports that are sourced from the database of fixes verified by expert technicians. By doing so, you will save both time and money.
The other feature that you will enjoy from this scanner is the fact that you get all the capabilities of the expensive scan tools. These include live data, extended vehicle coverage, and much more. This will be combined with the convenience and power of your tablet or smartphone. With this scanner, there are no cords, subscriptions, or regular free updates.
- This is an American-owned product that has been trusted by expert mechanics and designed by professional engineers
- You will be able to view live data and monitor the vehicle’s health in a real-time manner
- All the capabilities of the scan tool have been combined with the convenience and power of your smartphone
- You will enjoy unlimited vehicle repair reports that have been generated from a database verified by professional technicians
- Incompatibility issues
9. Thinkcar OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iPhone and Android
Whether you are an ordinary car owner or a professional mechanic, this code reader will be a good assistant whenever you encounter vehicle issues. The good thing about it is that it will support almost any car model after the year 1996. With the help of this scanner, you will scan deeper so that you can read and clear the fault codes. Its wireless Bluetooth connection allows you to convert your Android or iOS device into a professional diagnostic scanner.
This is basically a quality diagnostic scanner that can easily read and clear the fault codes on each system. It is also going to show the live data stream in a graphical and text format. You will also appreciate that the car digital scanner has auto VIN retrieval which allows it to automatically identify the car and carry out a fast scan. This scanner comes with a 2-year warranty from the manufacturer that will cover any manufacturing defects.
- This Bluetooth OBD2 scanner is going to serve you better now that it works with more than 120 car brands
- The OBD2 scanner will turn any Android or iOS device into a professional car diagnostic scanning tool
- It automatically identifies the car and reads the faulty codes, classify them and guarantee the owner’s safety
- Backed with a warranty for 2 years and a full refund within 30 days in case of dissatisfaction
- Cheap plastic material
8. Mucar OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iOS and Android
This scanner is different from the other scanners in the sense that it fits all car models and can therefore be used on different cars. Whether you are a professional mechanic or an ordinary family DIYer, you can easily perform diagnoses on different cars. This tool is therefore important to keep the daily car diagnosis for families and people who need help on the road. The good thing about it is that you do not need to buy more scanners for different car models.
Other than the OBD2 functions, the scanner has different reset services which include oil reset and SAS calibration just to name a few. With this tool, it will be possible to turn your Android or iOS device into a scanner so that you can reduce reliance on the mechanic. The device has 9 different languages that you can choose from depending on what you want. Given its small size, it will be easy to keep in the car. This way, you can do scans whether you are at home or on transit.
- This is a scanner for all cars meaning that you will keep daily diagnoses for families and give a hand to motorists on the road
- Easy to read and retrieve trouble codes and also share and keep records of vehicles that have been tested
- Convenient Bluetooth pairing to Android and iOS and enjoy 9 different languages from this scanner
- This is a portable scanner allowing you to keep it in your car for use anywhere and anytime
7. OBDLink Diagnostic Scanner for iPhone and Android
This scanner has been made for BimmerCode and is generally recommended by the BimmerCode team. With this tool, it will be possible to have 100% coverage of cars, protocols as well as the advanced features that are supported by BimmerCode. You however need to note that the BimmerCode app has not been included in the purchasing price.
Among the features that you will appreciate about the tool is that it has a simple in-app pairing to Android and iOS devices. Apart from that, the scanner comes with the overvoltage protection feature and the advanced sleep mode which allows the OBDLink CX to remain plugged in. its rock-solid construction prevents data corruption as well as the dropped packets. With this scanner, it will be possible to monitor the live parameters and perform diagnostics as you want.
- 100% coverage of vehicles, protocols as well as advanced features that are supported by the BimmerCode
- Easy pairing to Android and iOS to turn your device into a scanner
- It has an advanced sleep mode and overvoltage protection for safety purposes
- The free OBDLINK app allows you to monitor live parameters and perform diagnostics
- Poor tech support
6. AUTOPHIX 3210 OBD2 Scanner-Newest Generation
This is another OBD2 scanner that can read and also diagnose the check engine light so as to understand the severity of the problem. It also clears any fault codes in just a blink of an eye. More functions include battery health check, on-board monitoring, data stream, and Evap system test to name a few. Most scanners lack a battery tester which means that you will need some extra cash for that. The AUTOPHIX tool has a battery tester that allows you to check the health of the battery as well as the voltage with a tap on the phone screen.
Other than the benefit of working on Android and iOS, this tool has different languages that you can choose from depending on your needs. This scanner provides the simplest way of fixing any trouble on your vehicle and maintaining the car in general. It has also been backed with a warranty for three years and comes with a money-back guarantee within 90 days.
- You will get specific information for the fault codes in an accurate and timely manner
- With this scanner, you will be able to collect the battery voltage for your vehicle in real-time
- It operates on Bluetooth 4.2 which makes the connection stable and fast for reading errors
- The scanner comes with a warranty of 3 years from the manufacturer and a money-back guarantee within 90 days
- It does not work correctly on iOS Bluetooth
5. FIXD OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool for iPhone & Android
If you are looking for convenience, this is the scanner that you need for your vehicle. The scanner along with the OBD app will instantly translate more than 7000 engine faulty codes in plain English on the phone. Its wireless Bluetooth connection will be set up in a minute and the best thing about the app is that there is no knowledge for cars that is needed. This, therefore, means that even beginners can easily identify what the check engine light is trying to mean and the severity of the issue.
With this scanner tool, you will walk into repair shops very confident with accurate information on what you need for your car’s repair. This, therefore, helps to save money and avoid any rip-offs. The scanner also offers good how-to guides as well as video tutorials to do the DIY repairs. This scanner is compatible with diesel vehicles from 2008 and beyond as well as gas vehicles from 1996 and beyond.
- This OBD2 scanner is very easy to use and can instantly translate more than 7000 engine fault codes into plain English
- Wireless Bluetooth connection that sets up in minutes and does not require you to have any knowledge of cars
- You will walk into the repair shops having the right accurate info on what you need for your car which will save you so much money
- The scanner has broad compatibility with both diesel and gas-powered cars and works with Android and iPhone
- A bit pricey
4. ANCEL Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner for iPhone, iPad, and Android
This tool offers a wireless diagnostic solution for car owners as well as maintenance personnel. With this scanner, you will be able to read and also clear the fault codes. Other benefits that you will enjoy from the tool include on-board monitor test, read data stream, and retrieving the vehicle information to generate diagnostic reports.
The other good thing that you will appreciate about this tool is the fact that it comes with a battery tester. This, therefore, means that you do not need to purchase an extra tester to check the health of the vehicle’s battery. This scanner will detect batteries of 12V vehicles and later display voltage change over time in a graphical form. The scanner is compatible with iPad, Android, and iPhone. It also prides itself on inbuilt Bluetooth 4.2 that provides a very stable connection.
- It accurately determines the codes and the likely causes to save the vehicle owner so much money and time
- The scanner has exclusive functions like voice alerts for the vehicle speed, driving time, and water temperature
- Detects 12V vehicle battery and displays the voltage change over a period of time in a graphical form
- You will enjoy a hassle-free warranty, lifetime customer support, and a money-back guarantee within 30 days
- Defective software
3. NEXAS Bluetooth 5.0 OBDII Scanner for Vehicles
The Nexas Bluetooth scanner helps you to easily read and clear the fault codes. Other functions that you will be able to carry out with this scanner include battery test, performance test, and I/M readiness test. Equipped with Bluetooth 5.0 technology, the scanner has low power consumption and has a stable and faster diagnosis. Even better, it fits well in the pocket meaning that you can complete your car diagnostics anytime.
Another feature that you will appreciate about this scanner is that it has a special motorcycle diagnosis. Motoscan is a dedicated app that has been made for BMW motorcycles made before 2017. The scanner will read live data, clear fault codes among other functions. It is compatible with both Android and iOS which basically turns your smartphone or tablet into a diagnostic tool.
- It is equipped with a Bluetooth 5.0 chip that has a stable and faster diagnosis than other Bluetooth versions
- The scanner has multiple functions including reading and clearing fault codes, battery test, and performance test among others
- It has a special diagnosis for BMW motorcycles which makes it very versatile
- The scanner has a unique security mechanism that will eliminate risks of unauthorized access
- The motor scan feature does not work with all motorcycles
2. Veepeak OBDCheck OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner
This is a Bluetooth OBDII scanner that has support for extensive 3rd apps including OBD Fusion, Car Scanner, and Torque Pro. It will turn your Android device, iPhone, or iPad into a convenient car scanning tool. You will be able to view real-time sensor readings prepare a smog test, reset the check engine light among other functions.
This scanner has been made to work with EOBD/OBD2 compliant cars from 1996 and newer versions. Electric and hybrid cars might however require special apps. You will learn that it is very easy to plug and unplug the scanner since the settings are not complex or tricky. The manufacturer has provided a replacement warranty of 1 year on this tool. This, therefore, means that any manufacturer defects will be covered in this warranty.
- Unlike the common Bluetooth adapters, this one works with both Android and iOS devices
- It has universal vehicle compatibility for 1996 cars and newer including minivans, SUVs, and MPVs
- Allows you to view the real-time sensor readings, monitor fuel economy among other things
- It is easy to plug and unplug without the need for complex settings and tricky connections
- Requires third-party apps purchased separately
1. NEXPOW Bluetooth 5.0 OBD2 Scanner
This OBD2 scanner has been equipped with a Bluetooth 5.0 chip which has a better performance than Bluetooth 4.0 in terms of transmission distance. This scanner will bring you a great experience with fast, stable, and efficient transmission. It has been made to work with iOS and Android devices meaning that you will be able to carry out diagnostics from your smartphone or tablets. You will be able to access so much information about your car on your phone.
Other than just reading vehicle malfunction codes, this scanner will inform you of the possible issues with your vehicle. Whether you are a DIYer or you have no knowledge about vehicles, this scanner will keep you informed. This scanner comes with a 1-year replacement warranty and friendly USA-based support. In case you are not satisfied, you will get a refund of your money meaning that this is a risk-free purchase.
- It comes with the Bluetooth 5.0 chip that brings it a wider transmission distance and fast data rate
- The scanner supports different third-party apps and works with both Android and iOS to turn your device into a scan tool
- Reads the vehicle malfunction codes and gives you code definitions making it very useful for people who lack any knowledge about cars
- You will enjoy a 1-year replacement warranty and professional customer service from this brand
- Compatibility issues
Factors to consider when buying OBD2 Scanners Bluetooth
One of the common misconceptions about OBD2 scanners is that they magically make the fault codes, as well as the problems, disappear. Well, you can clear the fault codes in the vehicle but that does not fix the underlying issue. What a scanner does is let you find where the problem is in your car so that the mechanic or you can address the issue. These tools come in handy when you suspect that the mechanic is ripping you off. You must therefore make sure to choose a scanner that tells you exactly where the issue lies.
Car type and age
It is very important to understand that not just any car can be used with an OBD2 scanner. For instance, a vehicle made after 1996 have the right port that works well with the modern code readers. The older vehicles, on the other hand, might have an older port or even lack this system altogether. In such a case, it becomes very hard to diagnose issues and monitor the performance of the vehicles. Similarly, most European and Asian vehicles have their diagnostic scanner port.
Determining the price of an OBD2 scanner is relatively easy. Basically, the more that you spend, the more functions the scanner is likely to have. In this case, you will want to make sure that the scanner you will be purchasing has all the important features that you need before buying. Apart from that, you must ensure that there will be no more costs to incur after purchasing like third-party app fees.
When you lack the right tools, it becomes almost impossible to fix your vehicle. If you are a home mechanic, it is vital to have the OBD2 scanner to avoid the inconveniences of so many trips to the mechanic. This is because the scanner tells you exactly where the problem is when the engine check light signals a problem. That will help you to fix the issue within no time now that the OBD2 scanner has so much that it can do for you. Above, we have reviewed the top 10 best Bluetooth OBD2 scanners in the market. We have also listed the tips that you need to consider when buying in a bid to help you make an informed decision. With all this information, it should be very easy to make a good choice.